CSCOR Coral Programs provide scientific and technical information to resource managers and policy makers for the development of management strategies and new policies that protect coral reefs. Example outcomes include:
- Mangrove cutting moratorium in Palau to decrease sediment loading on reefs
- Establishment of standards to maintain coral reef health during beach renourishment activities in Broward County, Fla
- Area closures to create sustainable aquarium trade fisheries off Hawaii's Kona coast
- Forensic evidence for coral reef damage cases and assessments in Hawaii and Micronesia
- Research results used to support reauthorization of the US Coral Reef Conservation Act and policy development by US Coral Reef Task Force All Islands Committee
- Testimony and review for the US Commission on Ocean Policy
In addition, CSCOR is a leader in the incorporation of local ecological knowledge and stakeholder input into the resource management process, to enhance coral reef science and policy development.